How do I enforce smoking restrictions?
Enforce your smoking restrictions just as you would any other rule.
Tips for getting tenants to comply:
- Give tenants advance notice.
- Explain the rules when prospective tenants tour the property.
- Explain the smoking restrictions again when tenants sign their lease or lease renewal.
- Market your property as smoking-restricted.
- Post signs and stickers in smoking restricted areas.
- Train your management and maintenance staff on smoking restrictions and make sure they understand these restrictions are a priority.
- Consider creating a designated outdoor area for smoking if you think it would help with compliance.
- Move receptacles for smoking materials a reasonable distance (25 feet) from building entrances, windows, and ventilation intakes, together with applicable signs.
If tenants fail to comply with smoking restrictions in their units and common areas, they are in breach of the lease agreement, which could be grounds for eviction. Please see our Sample Warning Letter that you can send to tenants who violate the smoking restrictions.